autonomous body established as per AP Reorganization Act, 2014 he Krishna River Management Board (KRMB) is an under the administrative control of MoWR to manage and regulate the waters of Krishna Basin in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. According to the Act, the Government of the successor States shall at all times provide the necessary funds to the Board to meet all expenses required for the discharge of its functions and such amounts shall be apportioned between the States concerned in such proportion as the Central Government may specify.
More About the River Management Board
- The headquarters of the Krishna River Management Board shall be located in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Board shall consist of the following chairperson and members:
. chairperson not below the rank of secretary or additional secretary to the Government of India to be appointed by the Central Government
. two members, to be nominated by each of the successor states (AP and Telangana), of which one shall be the technical member not below the rank of chief engineer and the other administrative member to represent the concerned States
. one expert to be nominated by the Central Government.
- The Board shall be assisted in the day to day management of reservoirs by the Central Industrial Security Force constituted under the Central Industrial Security Force Act, 1968.
Functions of the Board
The functions of the Board shall include:
- the regulation of supply of water from the projects to the successor States having regard to
. awards granted by the Tribunals constituted under the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956
. any arrangement made covering the Government of existing State of Andhra Pradesh and any other State or Union territory
- the regulation of supply of power generated to the authority in-charge of the distribution of power, having regard to any arrangement made covering the Government of the existing State of Andhra Pradesh and any other State or Union territory
- the construction of the remaining or new works connected with the development of the water resources projects relating to the rivers or their tributaries through the successor States, as the Central Government may specify
- making an appraisal of any proposal for construction of new projects on Krishna river and giving technical clearance, after satisfying that such projects do not negatively impact the availability of water, as per the award of the Tribunal for the projects already completed or taken up before the appointed day
- such other functions as the Central Government may entrust to it on the basis of the principles specified in the 11th Schedule