Based on Budget announcement for 2020-21, a Committee has been formed under the aegis of Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, which includes representatives from Ministry of Railways also, to work out the modalities of Kisan Rail.
Solar panels on unutilized Railway land
- The Ministry of Railways is planning for the installation of solar panels on unutilized Railway land for meeting its energy needs for both traction and non-traction purpose. So far, a total of 3 MW has already been set up on the railway’s unused land. Further, action taken for installation of Solar power projects on unused Railway land are as follows:
- 50 MW at Bhilai through Railway Energy Management Company Limited (REMCL) in South East Central Railway
- 1.7 MW at Sukhi Siwania in West Central Railway
- 2 MW at Diwana in Northern Railway
- The solar power so generated, shall be evacuated to proliferate either by connecting it to Grid or feeding it directly to 25 Kilo Volt (kV) Alternating Current (AC) Traction System.
- In addition to above, IR is further planning to proliferate land-based solar power on unused vacant Railway land having no commercial value or future infrastructure requirement once above pilot projects are commissioned successfully. BluePrint for implementation of the project on a larger scale is still under preparation.
|A brief note on Kisan Train|