Source: Press Information Bureau
The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establish India as a great sporting nation.
The revamped Khelo India programme aimed at the impact of the entire sports ecosystem, community sports, including infrastructure, coaching for excellence, talent identification, competition structure as well as the sports economy. The Khelo India programme was formed after the merger of following schemes;
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan (RGKA)
- Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme (USIS)
- National Sports Talent Search Scheme (NSTSS)
Khelo India Scheme Eligibility
- The age limit set for application in this scheme is 10 to 18 years
- Any child who wants to participate in the India scheme should also be interested in sports
Khelo India programme has been divided into 12 verticals(components), namely:
Khelo India Scheme Benefits
- The level of the game will be elevated by this plan.
- Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by the High-Powered Committee will be provided annual financial assistance of INR 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
- Under this program, about 20 million children of age group of 10 to 18 years will be included in the National Physical Fitness Campaign.
- This will only focus on the physical fitness of children, but fitness related activities will also be supported