In news– Karnataka Janapada Vishwavidyalaya (Karnataka Folklore University has now set its eyes on expanding its reach globally. It is approaching colleges and organisations across the world.
About the University-
- It is a public university exclusively dedicated to the study and research of folklore.
- It was established in 2011 at Shiggavi in Haveri district of Karnataka by the state government.
- It is the only university in the world which offers courses in folk arts and culture.
- Presently, it offers certificate courses in doddata (folk drama), dollu kunitha, kamsale, thogalu bombeyata (puppet show), traditional embroidery, folk tourism, folk songs, folk dances, bamboo art, folk martial arts, folk sports, percussion instrument, and yoga.
- It offers diploma courses in open air theatre, yakshagana, traditional tattoo art, martial arts and yoga. It also offers PhD courses.
- It also offers postgraduate diploma courses in folk poetry, traditional dairy and traditional horticulture.
- University functions under the Department of Higher Education and some of the courses they offer have been included in the syllabus designed under the National Education Policy.
- The university has also published an exclusive dictionary of folk words and has published more than 200 books.
Source: The New Indian Express