In news- The first commercial consignment of Geographical Indications (GI) certified Jardalu mangoes from Bihar was exported to the United Kingdom recently.
About the mangoes-
- APEDA, in collaboration with the Bihar government, Indian High Commission & Invest India, exported the mangoes.
- With distinct aroma and taste, Jardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur district of Bihar received GI certification in 2018.
- It is considered as a safe fruit for even those who have been diagnosed with diabetes or have a poor digestive system.
- It is rich with fibre and enzymes that are highly beneficial to the abdominal muscles and digestive system.
- Mango in India is also referred to as ‘king of fruits’ and referred to as Kalpavriksha (wish granting tree) in ancient scriptures.
- Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka are major mango producing states.