Source: PIB & National Portal of India
Key highlights about the App
- “Janaushadhi Sugam” mobile application would have user-friendly options like- to locate nearby Janaushadhikendra, direction guidance for the location of the Janaushadhikendra through Google Map, search Janaushadhi generic medicines, analyze product comparison of Generic vs Branded medicine in form of MRP & overall Savings, etc
- The “Janaushadhi Sugam” will enable people to search for Janaushadhi generic medicines and the stores at the tip of their fingers.
About Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP)
To bring down the healthcare budget of every citizen of India through providing Quality generic Medicines at Affordable Prices.
- Create awareness among the public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practitioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness programs that high prices need not be synonymous with high quality.
- Provide all the commonly used generic medicines covering all the therapeutic groups.
- Provide all the related health care products too under the scheme.
Key highlights about PMBJP
- In September 2015, the ‘Jan Aushadhi Scheme’ was revamped as ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojana’ (PMJAY). In November 2016, to give further impetus to the scheme, it was again renamed as “Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana” (PMBJP).
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
- PMBJP stores have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
Benefits of Jan Aushadhi campaign
The Jan Aushadhi initiative will make available quality drugs at affordable prices through dedicated stores selling generic medicines that are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- Promote greater awareness about cost-effective drugs and their prescriptions.
- Make available unbranded quality generic medicines at affordable prices through a public-private partnership.
- Encourage doctors, more specifically in a government hospital to prescribe generic medicines.
- Enable substantial savings in health care more particularly in the case of poor patients and those suffering from chronic ailments requiring long periods of drug use.