What is Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS)?
Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS) is conceived as an institute for conducting skill upgradation in the areas of programmes of Non-formal, Adult and Continuing Education. It would also provide academic and technical resource support to Zila Saksharata Samitis in both urban and rural areas
Ministry: The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is implementing Scheme of Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS) for Skill Development and National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) under Skill India Mission
The Scheme of Jan Shikshan Sansthan has been transferred from the Ministry of Human Resource Development to the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship in July-2018.
- The scheme of JSS is being implemented through its institutional framework in the country with the objective to improve the occupational skills and technical knowledge of the non/neo literate
- Jan Shikshan Sansthan aims to provide vocational training to non-literates, neo-literates as well as school drop-outs in rural regions by identifying skills that have a relevant market in that region.
- The one of the objectives of JSS is to uplift this rural population economically by imparting essential skills training, thereby enabling local trades to grow and creating new opportunities for the natives of the region.
- Socio-economically backward and educationally disadvantaged groups of rural/urban population.
- Main targets include non-literate, neo-literates, persons whose education is upto 8th standard, school drop-outs, in the age group of 15-35 years.
- Priority given to women, SC, ST, OBC and Minorities in rural areas and urban slums.
Activities of JSS
Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS) represents an institutional framework for offering Non-formal, Adult and Continuing Education Programmes to disadvantaged groups
Their activities would, therefore, include:
- Vocational and skill development programmes for neo-literates in both industrial/urban and rural areas.
- Organize training programmes for Key Resource Persons, Master Trainers and Trainees in vocational courses and also for neo-literates.
- Its programmes would be based on the polyvalent or multidimensional approach to adult education.
Organization & Management
The JSS function under the NGOs, registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 with annual recurring grant from the Govt. of India. The affairs of the JSS are managed by the Boards of Management (BOM) of respective JSS. It is mandatory for all JSS to register at NITI Aayog – Darpan portal.