Need for Jan Andolan on Non-Communicable Diseases
Society– Health & General Science
Union Health Minister chaired a high level review meeting on the status of the National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and strokes (NPCDCS) and he also urged for a mass movement on Non-Communicable Diseases with ‘jan bhagidari’ where the energy and knowledge of all stakeholders and partners are channelized.
National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS)
India is experiencing a rapid health transition with a rising burden of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) surpassing the burden of Communicable diseases like water-borne or vector-borne diseases, TB, HIV, etc. The Non-Communicable Diseases like Cardiovascular Diseases (CVD), Cancer, Chronic Respiratory Diseases, Diabetes and other NCDs are estimated to account for around 60% of all deaths, thus making them the leading causes of death. Losses due to premature deaths due to these NCDs are also projected to increase over the years. Therefore, the National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS) was launched in 2010 in 100 districts across 21 States, in order to prevent and control the major NCDs.
The main focus of the programme is on health promotion, early diagnosis, management and referral of cases, besides strengthening the infrastructure and capacity building.
- Health promotion through behavior change with involvement of community, civil society, community based organizations, media etc.
- Outreach Camps for opportunistic screening at all levels in the health care delivery system from sub-centre and above for early detection of diabetes, hypertension and common cancers.
- Management of chronic Non-Communicable diseases, especially Cancer, Diabetes, CVDs and Stroke through early diagnosis, treatment and follow up through setting up of NCD clinics.
- Build capacity at various levels of health care for prevention, early diagnosis, treatment, IEC/BCC, operational research and rehabilitation.
- Provide support for diagnosis and cost effective treatment at primary, secondary and tertiary levels of health care.
- Provide support for development of database of NCDs through a robust Surveillance System and to monitor NCD morbidity, mortality and risk factors.