In news- Recently a consignment of GI certified ‘Jalgaon banana’ was exported to Dubai.
About Jalgaon banana-
- Jalgaon district of Maharashtra is a banana cluster identified under Agri Export Policy.
- The banana is fibre and mineral rich.
- In 2016, it got GI certification which was registered with Nisargraja Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) Jalgaon.
- Jalgaon is known as the ‘banana hub’ of Maharashtra and accounts for about 50 per cent of the State’s 90,000 hectares of banana plantation.
- India is the world’s leading producer of bananas with a share of around 25% in total output.
- Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh contribute more than 70% of the country’s banana production.
- According to the Ministry of Commerce, India’s banana export has been rising sharply because of the adoption of farm practices in line with global standards.