Source: PIB & indiawater.gov.in
Union Jal Shakti Minister recently announced the commencement of the Jal Shakti Abhiyan – a campaign for water conservation and water security
Duration and phases of the campaign
- Phase I: The campaign will run through citizen participation during the monsoon season, from 1st July 2019 to 15th September 2019.(all states)
- Phase II: will run from 1st October 2019 to 30th November 2019 for States receiving the North East retreating monsoons(States with retreating monsoon).
The focus of the campaign
The focus of the campaign will be on water-stressed districts and blocks.
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a collaborative effort of various Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments, being coordinated by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation(DDWS)
- Under the campaign teams of officers from the central government will visit and work with district administration in water-stressed districts, to ensure five important water conservation interventions. These will be;
- Water conservation and rainwater harvesting.
- Renovation of traditional and other water bodies/tanks.
- Reuse and bore well recharge structures.
- Watershed development and
- Intensive afforestation.
- Special intervention Areas
- Block and District Water Conservation Plan: Development of Block and District Water Conservation Plans (To be integrated with the District Irrigation Plans)
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra Mela: Krishi Vigyan Kendra Melas to promote efficient water use for irrigation (Per Drop More Crop), and better choice of crops for water conservation
- Urban Waste Water Reuse: In urban areas, plans/approvals with time bound targets to be developed for wastewater reuse for industrial and agriculture purposes. Municipalities to pass by-laws for the separation of grey water and blackwater
- Scientists and IITs: Scientists and IITs to be mobilised at the national level to support the teams
- 3D Village Contour Mapping:3D Village Contour Maps may be created and made accessible for efficient planning of interventions
Communication camp: A large-scale communications campaign has also been planned alongside the JSA involving mass mobilization of different groups including school students, college students, swachhagrahis, Self Help Groups, Panchayati Raj Institution members, youth groups (NSS/NYKS/NCC), defence personnel, ex-servicemen and pensioners, among various others.
Water stressed districts under the campaign: Districts with critical or over-exploited groundwater levels as per the Central Ground Water Board (CGWB) 2017. For states without critical and over-exploited groundwater levels, districts with the least availability of groundwater in comparison to the rest of the districts in the state have been selected