What is it?
- The Jal Shakti Abhiyan (JSA) is a time-bound, mission-mode water conservation campaign.
- It will run in two Phases:
- Phase 1 from 1st July to 15th September 2019 for all States and Union Territories
- Phase 2 from 1st October to 30th November 2019 for States and UTs receiving the retreating monsoon
- The latter includes Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Puducherry and Tamil Nadu.
- Officers, groundwater experts and scientists from the Government will work together with state and district officials in India‘s most water-stressed districts.
- These are the 255 districts having critical and over-exploited groundwater levels.
- The focus is on water conservation and water resource management by focusing on accelerated implementation of five target interventions.
- The campaign was not intended to be a funding programme and did not create any new intervention on its own.
- It only aimed to make water conservation a peoples’ movement‘ through ongoing schemes like the MGNREGA and other government programmes.