Recently Maldives Defended India against the charge of Islam phobia at OIC meeting
About Islamic Cooperation Countries (OIC)
- OIC is an international organization founded in 1969
- It was established upon a decision of the historical summit which took place in Rabat, the Kingdom of Morocco on 25 September 1969 following the criminal arson of Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied Jerusalem.
- It is the second-largest intergovernmental organization after the United Nations with a membership of 57 states spread over four continents.
- In 1970 the first-ever meeting of Islamic Conference of Foreign Minister (ICFM) was held in Jeddah which decided to establish a permanent secretariat in Jeddah headed by the organization’s secretary-general.
- The organization states that it is “the collective voice of the Muslim world” and works to “safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony”
- It has permanent delegations to the United Nations and the European Union.
- The official languages of the OIC are Arabic, English, and French.
- The Organization has the singular honour to galvanize the Ummah into a unified body
Bodies of OIC
- Among the OIC’s key bodies: the Islamic Summit, the Council of Foreign Ministers (CFM), the General Secretariat, in addition to the Al-Quds Committee and three permanent committees concerned with science and technology, economy and trade, and information and culture.
- There are also specialized organs under the banner of the OIC including the Islamic Development Bank and the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, as well as subsidiary and affiliate organs that play a vital role in boosting cooperation in various fields among the OIC member states.