In news– Prince Harry opened the 2022 edition of Invictus Games in Hague, Netherlands.
About Invictus Games-
- Founded in 2014 by Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, the Invictus Games is an international sporting event for wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women, both serving and veterans similar to the Paralympics.
- The inspiration for launching these games came from Prince Harry’s visit to the Warrior Games in the USA in 2013, where he witnessed the ability of sport to help both psychologically and physically.
- The Games also draw inspiration from the British poet William Ernest Henley’s 1875 poem ‘Invictus’.
- The word ‘Invictus’ means ‘unconquered’, chosen as an embodiment of the fighting spirit of the wounded, injured and sick service personnel and what they can achieve, post injury.
- The Games harness the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation and generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve their country.
- The first edition of the Games was held in London in 2014, and subsequent competitions were organised in Orlando, US (2016), Toronto, Canada (2017), and Sydney, Australia (2018).
- The 2023 edition will be held in Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Harry is the Patron of the Games and the Invictus Games Foundation, set up after the inaugural event in London in 2014, is the owner of the brand and the selector of future host cities.
- It is also responsible for managing the competition, setting the rules and categorisations, and branding it.
- In the current edition, the participating countries are, besides Ukraine, Canada, Georgia, Romania, the United Kingdom, the US, Poland, and Denmark.
- The Warrior Games are a multi-sport event organised by the US Department of Defence to “celebrate the resiliency and dedication of wounded, ill, and injured active duty and veteran US military service members”.
- The Warrior Games were held every year from 2010 to 2019, when they were disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The 2022 edition, hosted by the US Army, is scheduled for August 19th -28th.