In news- International Day of Girl Child was celebrated on October, 11th.
About International Day of Girl Child-
- In 1995, at the World Conference on Women in Beijing, the need for an event focused on young and vulnerable girls was identified.
- The initiative began as a non-government international plan of action to address the challenge faced by young women.
- Resolution 66/170 to declare October 11 as the International Day of the Girls Child was adopted by the UN General Assembly on December 19, 2011.
- It was declared by the United Nations to amplify the voices of young girls around the world and increase awareness of issues faced by them.
- In 2020, this marked 25 years of the adoption of the Beijing declaration.
- It focuses attention on the need to address the challenges girls face and to promote girls’ empowerment and the fulfilment of their human rights.
- The theme of International Day of Girl Child 2021: ‘Digital generation’. Our generation’.