In news–Every year March 21 is observed as the International Day of Forests.
About International Day of Forests(IDF)-
- The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 21 March the IDF in 2012 to celebrate and raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests.
- The organizers are the United Nations Forum on Forests and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), in collaboration with Governments, the Collaborative Partnership on Forests and other relevant organizations in the field.
- The theme for 2022 is ‘Forests and Sustainable production and consumption.’
- The theme for each International Day of Forests is chosen by the Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF).
About the United Nations Forum on Forests(UNFF)-
- Founded on 18 October 2000 UNFF is a high-level intergovernmental policy forum.
- The Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC), in its Resolution 2000/35 established the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF)
- The forum includes all United Nations member states and permanent observers, the UNFF Secretariat, the Collaborative Partnership on Forests, Regional Organizations and Processes and Major Groups.
- On 27 April 2017, the UN General Assembly adopted the first ever UN Strategic Plan for Forests 2017-2030.
- The Strategic Plan provides a global framework for actions at all levels to sustainably manage all types of forests and trees outside forests and halt deforestation and forest degradation.