In news–The International Day of Action for River(IDAR)s is observed every year on March 14 to raise awareness of how crucial rivers are to our daily lives.
About the day-
- The inaugural International Day of Action for Rivers was observed in March 1997.
- In September 1995, several organizations, including International Rivers Network (I.R.N.), India’s Save the Narmada Movement (N.B.A.), Chile’s Biobio Action Group (GABB), and European Rivers Network (ERN) came together and conducted a preparatory meeting in Brazil. As a result, they formed an international Organizing Committee headed by Brazil’s Movement of People Affected by Large Dams (MAB).
- In March 1997, in Curitiba, Brazil, participants of the First International Meeting of People Affected by Dams adopted the International Day of Action Against Dams and For Rivers, Water and Life.
- Also, it was agreed to observe the day on March 14 in recognition of Brazil’s Day of Action Against Large Dams.
- The theme of the 2023 International Day of Action for Rivers is “Rights of Rivers,” which calls for the designation of rivers as a national treasure.
- The day was previously recognised as the International Day against Dams, for Rivers, Water, and Life.
Source: News 18