In news- International Counter Terrorism Conference 2022 was virtually organised by the Global Counter Terrorism Council (GCTC) recently.
About International Counter-Terrorism Conference(ICTC)-
- Theme- ‘Counter Terrorism: A never ending Warfare’.
- During the conference, India’s Permanent Representative to the UN, T S Tirumurti told that the UN sanctions regimes, including the 1267 Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee, are pivotal to the international efforts in preventing terror financing, terrorist travel and access to arms by the terrorist organisations.
- He also stated that emergence of new “religiophobia”, especially against Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs, is a matter of serious concern and needs to be recognised, just like Christianophobia, Islamophobia and anti-semitism.
About the Global Counter Terrorism Council (GCTC)-
- It is an registered non-profit International Think-Tank with an overarching mission of reducing the vulnerability of people worldwide to terrorism by preventing, combating and prosecuting terrorist acts and countering incitement and recruitment to terrorism.
- Members belong to different backgrounds like senior bureaucrats, academicians, officers from the armed forces & paramilitary services, leading researchers, media analysts, parliamentarians, professionals, corporate heads and human rights groups.
- The council brings together experts and practitioners from countries and regions around the world to share experiences and expertise, and develop tools and strategies on how to counter the evolving terrorist threat.
- It strives to bring together the best minds to ideate on key national and international issues that further the cause of peace and global harmony.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.