In news– A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was recently signed between the Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers and ILO for adopting the International Chemical Safety Cards (ICSCs).
What are the International Chemical Safety Cards (ICSCs)?
- ICSCs are data sheets intended to concisely provide essential safety and health information on chemicals.
- The primary aim of the Cards is to promote the safe use of chemicals in the workplace.
- The main users are workers and those responsible for occupational safety and health.
- The ICSCs will be used by the department to disseminate the appropriate hazard information on chemicals at the workplace in an comprehensible and easy manner.
- The ICSCs are developed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Labour Organisation (ILO) with cooperation of the European Commission and are regularly updated to take account of the latest scientific developments.
- These cards are helpful for dissemination of the appropriate hazard information on chemicals to industry associations to promote safe use of chemicals in the workplace.