In news- The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) was celebrated on May 22.
About the International Day for Biological Diversity-
- It is a United Nations sanctioned international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues.
- When first created by the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly in late 1993, 29 December (the date of entry into force of the Convention of Biological Diversity), was designated The IBD.
- In December 2000, the UN General Assembly adopted 22 May as IDB, to commemorate the adoption of the text of the Convention on Biological Diversity by the Nairobi Final Act of the Conference.
- It falls within the scope of the UN Post-2015 Development Agenda’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- The critical role of biodiversity in sustainable development was recognized in a Rio+20 outcome document, “The World We Want: A Future for All“.
- IBD 2021 theme – “We’re part of the solution“.
- IBD 2020 theme was “Our solutions are in nature”.