As per International Atomic Energy Agency, Iran uranium stockpile still violates the atomic deal that is Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
Iran’s compliance with the nuclear-related provisions of the JCPOA is verified by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) according to certain requirements set forth in the agreement
About International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- It was created in 1957 in response to the deep fears and expectations generated by the discoveries and diverse uses of nuclear technology.
- The Agency’s genesis was U.S. President Eisenhower’s “Atoms for Peace” address to the General Assembly of the United Nations on 8 December 1953.
- The U.S. Ratification of the Statute by President Eisenhower, 29 July 1957, marks the official birth of the International Atomic Energy Agency
- The IAEA is strongly linked to nuclear technology and its controversial applications, either as a weapon or as a practical and useful tool.
- The ideas President Eisenhower expressed in his speech in 1953 helped shape the IAEA’s Statute, which 81 nations unanimously approved in October 1956.
- The Agency was set up as the world’s “Atoms for Peace” organization within the United Nations family.
- From the beginning, it was given the mandate to work with its Member States and multiple partners worldwide to promote safe, secure and peaceful nuclear technologies.
- The objectives of the IAEA’s dual mission – to promote and control the Atom – are defined in Article II of the IAEA Statute.’The Statute of the IAEA was approved on 23 October 1956 by the Conference on the Statute of the International Atomic Energy Agency, which was held at the Headquarters of the United Nations. It came into force on 29 July 1957.
- IAEA has its headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
- It also has two regional offices located in Toronto, Canada (since 1979) and Tokyo, Japan (since 1984), as well as two liaison offices in New York City, United States of America (since 1957) and Geneva, Switzerland (since 1965).
- IAEA runs laboratories specialized in nuclear technology in Vienna and Seibersdorf, Austria, opened in 1961, and, since 1961, in Monaco.