In news : Recently, the vice President of India inaugurated the Integrated Weapon System Design Centre at DRDO’s Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex in Hyderabad
About Integrated Weapon System Design Centre
- This facility will enhance the capability in design and development of command & control systems for surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems and ballistic missile defence (BMD) systems.
- The centre will give thrust to the overall system design and evaluation methodology for state-of-the-art missile systems and will help in improving the performance of missiles.
- This will play a major role in the realization of highly complex futuristic aerospace & defence systems.
- Shri Naidu also inaugurated a new missile technology exposition and seminar hall in the same campus.
- The exposition will display missile technologies and weapon systems and the centre will be the backbone for outreach activities.
- This hall is a part of knowledge management initiatives taken up by the Missile Complex to provide an interactive platform for continuous learning and fostering technical excellence among the missile community.
- It will be a hub for organizing scientific expositions, structured training programmes on virtual platforms and technical lectures for the benefit of DRDO community.
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex is a military missile research center located in Hydrabad, India.On 15 October 2015 Defence Minister, Shri Manohar Parrikar renamed the complex after Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
The complex has following three laboratories:
- Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL):Conducts research and development on motors, jet vanes and structures for launch vehicles and missiles, primarily known for contributions to Agni Missiles.
- Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL): Famous for its contributions to IGMDP programme.
- Research Centre Imarat (RCI):
- A missile Avionics Laboratory founded by Dr Abdul Kalam. It houses different work centers, integration and testing facilities.
- RCI is a leading laboratory of Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) and responsible for development of missile system and also design, development and participation in production of missile avionics like Inertial Navigation Systems, Control Systems, Real Time Embedded Computers, Imaging Infrared Seeker, Radio Frequency Seeker and Power Supply Systems.
- Telemetry and Telecommand systems are also developed in RCI to evaluate missile performance during its development phase.