In news- Country’s tallest tower has been inaugurated in Chandigarh recently.
About air purification award-
- The 24 meter long outdoor air purification tower was inaugurated on the occasion of International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies.
- It has been installed at Transport Light Point (TPT) on Madhya Marg, one of the most populated points due to the heavy traffic pressure and nearby transport area.
- The air purification tower, which is capable of purifying the air of the radius of around 1 km, was installed by Pious Air Pvt Ltd, a Delhi based firm.
- The equipment will also show the quality index of the air it inhales and the quality index of the air it will exhale.
- The air purifier functions through electricity.
International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies-
- It is celebrated across the world every year on 7 September.
- Facilitated by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the day aims to create awareness about the significance of air quality, which is essential to all living things on Earth.
- Theme-2021: “Healthy Air, Healthy Planet” which emphasizes the health aspects of air pollution, especially considering the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Last year, the first-ever International Day of Clean Air for blue skies with the rights-based theme of “Clean Air for All” was launched.
- The Day aims to prioritize the need for healthy air for all while keeping conversations broad enough to encompass other critical issues such as climate change, human and planetary health as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
- It serves as a rallying call to action to collectively align efforts and claim the right to clean air.