Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of PSUs under the Ministry of Power and Department of New & Renewable Energy (DNRE), Goa, have signed a memorandum of understanding to discuss rolling out of India’s first Convergence Project in the State.
Features of the MoU
Under the MoU, Energy Efficiency Services Limited(EESL) and DNRE will carry-out the feasibility studies and subsequent implementation of decentralized solar energy projects.
EESL shall implement the solar energy projects, establishment of 100 MW of decentralized ground-mounted Solar Power projects on government lands to be used for agricultural pumping, replace approximately 6,300 agricultural pumps with BEE star rated energy efficient pumps and distribute approximately 16 Lakh LED bulbs for rural domestic household
About convergence project and its significance
- The project will accrue savings of INR 2,574 crores to the State over a period of 25 years, while improving the health of DISCOMs and providing cleaner power.
- It will provide clean day time electricity to farmers as well as energy-efficient pump sets which would reduce the power consumption as well as T&D losses associated with transmitting power to agriculture and rural feeder networks
- The projects will accelerate the usage of renewable energy sources, especially for agricultural and rural power consumption in the State.
- The projects will also contribute in reduction of peak energy demand through deployment of energy efficient pumping and lighting thus contributing to overall sustainability.
- In Goa, with the objective of providing clean power at affordable rates, EESL will install solar projects in a first of its kind large scale programme where vacant/unused land provided by the Gram Panchayats/electricity board will be utilized.
- Under this project, the solar power plant will be installed near the substation, with capacities ranging from 500KW to 2 MW, depending on the size of the land, this will enable DISCOMs to supply power during the day time and reduce transmission losses.
- Through its convergence initiative, EESL seeks to connect seemingly independent sectors like Solar Energy, Energy Storage and LED lights to provide solutions, which can enable in decarbonisation and affordable energy access.
- Under this programme, EESL is offering convergent interventions, which solve multiple gap areas in the energy ecosystem.
- It is currently providing solutions such as solarised agriculture feeders, LED street lights in local villages and battery energy storage system.
- EESL is also leveraging the carbon financing mechanism to rapidly strengthen rural infrastructure in a clean and sustainable manner, to create a resilient and sustainable rural community in India.
- Its climate financing interventions currently include Gram UJALA, Decentralised Solar and Gram Panchayat Street Lights programmes
A joint venture of NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation and POWERGRID, Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) was set up under the Ministry of Power to facilitate the implementation of energy efficiency projects. EESL is a Super Energy Service Company (ESCO) that seeks to unlock energy efficiency market in India