The country’s first ‘grain ATM’ has been set up at Farrukhnagar area of Gurugram.
About Grain ATM(Annapurti)
- It is a pilot project that has been launched as part of the Haryana government’s initiative to ensure food supplies.
- The purpose of installing this machine is to ensure that the right quantity of ration reaches beneficiaries.
- The ATM can dispense up to 70 kg of grain within five to seven minutes at a time.
- Three types of grains such as wheat, rice and millets will be distributed through the machine.
- Currently, wheat is being distributed through the grain ATM installed in Farrukhnagar.
- It is equipped with a biometric system with a touch screen where the beneficiary will have to enter the Aadhaar card or ration card number.
- Upon authentication, the foodgrain allocated by the state government for a beneficiary will be automatically filled in bags kept under the machine.
- This machine will be installed under the ”World Food Programme” of United Nations, and is called Automated, Multi Commodity, Grain Dispensing Machine
- It works like a bank ATM and will be installed under the UN’s World Food Programme across the state.
- It is called an automated multi-commodity grain dispensing machine.
- State government’s plan is to install these food supply machines at government depots across the state.
Significance & Benefits
- With the installation of ‘grain ATMs’, all complaints on the time and right measurement of ration will be redressed in the state.
- Grain ATM will not only benefit the consumers but will also redress the complaints on shortage of food grains at government depots.
- It will also help ensure more transparency in the public food distribution system and save the time of depot operators.