About Indian Trade Classification based on Harmonized System of Coding (ITCHS)
- ITC-HS Codes or better known as Indian Trade Classification based on Harmonized System of Coding was adopted in India for import-export operations.
- Indian custom uses an eight digit ITC-HS Codes to suit the national trade requirements.
ITC-HS Codes Schedules
- ITC-HS codes are divided into two schedules.
- ITC(HS) Import Schedule I
- Describe the rules and guidelines related to import policies.
- Schedule I of the ITC-HS code is divided into 21 sections and each section is further divided into chapters.
- The total number of chapters in the schedule I is 98.
- ITC(HS) Export Schedule II
- Describes the rules and regulation related to export policies.
- Export Policy Schedule II of the ITC-HS code contains 97 chapters giving all the details about the guidelines related to the export policies.
Governing Body of ITC (HS) Code:
- Any changes or formulation or addition of new codes in ITC-HS Codes are carried out by DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade).
- Commodity description, weeding out of defunct codes, addition of new codes, change of product description etc., are taken up periodically as a part of the ongoing process towards perfection.
ITC Hs Code Major 21 Sections
- Animals & Animal Products
- Vegetable Products
- Animal Or Vegetable Fats
- Prepared Foodstuffs
- Mineral Products
- Chemical Products
- Plastics & Rubber
- Hides & Skins
- Wood & Wood Products
- Wood Pulp Products
- Textiles & Textile Articles
- Footwear, Headgear
- Articles Of Stone, Plaster, Cement, Asbestos
- Pearls, Precious Or Semi-Precious Stones, Metals
- Base Metals & Articles Thereof
- Machinery & Mechanical Appliances
- Transportation Equipment
- Instruments – Measuring, Musical
- Arms & Ammunition
- Works Of Art