Why in news?
India plans to have its own space station launched by 2030.
What is the space station?
- It is basically a spacecraft which is habitable by humans who are crewmembers.
- Countries such as the United States, Russia, and China have already developed their presence in space and the ISS (International Space Station) is the only and largest fully functioning human-made space station.
What is India’s plan?
- India intends to carry out microgravity experiments.
- It will be an extension of the ambitious Gaganyaan mission in India and should be capable of hosting astronauts for about 20 days.
- It will be placed at an altitude of 400 kms around the earth.
Space docking or Spadex technology which is already being tested in ISRO will be used.
- It helps to gather information and provides a platform for greater scientific study and many of these features.