In news– The Indian Navy Day is observed on December 4 every year.
About Indian Navy Day-
- The day is observed to recognise the efforts and achievements of the Indian Navy in Operation Trident conducted during the Indo-Pakistan war in 1971.
- The Indian Navy was established in 1612 by the East India Company.
- On December 3, 1971, Pakistan launched an attack on Indian air bases during the India-Pakistan war.
- Countering the attack, the Indian navy had sent 3 missile boats INS Veer, INS Nipat and INS Nirghat, Vidyut-class boats towards Karachi at maximum speed.
- During this operation, the Indian Navy sank 3 Pakistan navy ships.
- Commodore Kasargod Pattanashetti Gopal Rao was the one who led the attack that sank the ships in Karachi.
- It was during this operation that an anti-ship missile ship was used for the first time.
- This mission was called ‘Operation Trident’.
- The theme of 2021 is ‘Swarnim Vijay Varsh’ to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of India’s victory in the 1971 war.