In news- Recently, the Department of Science and Technology announced that India will be hosting the second United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC) in Hyderabad in October 2022.
Key updates on 2nd UNWGIC-
- The Global Geospatial Information Community was sensitized about the second United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC) to be organized by India in October next year.
- The curtain raiser event for this was organized on the margins of the 11th Session of the United Nation Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) to be held during the end of August 2021.
- The UNGGIM has entrusted the responsibility of organizing the second UNWGIC to India during October 2022.
- India will organize the event as a part of the “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (Celebration of 75 years of Indian Independence)”.
- UN Statistics Division, endorsed the core theme of Second UNWGIC-2022 as ‘Geo-enabling the Global Village’.
About United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC)-
- The United Nation Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) organizes the UNWGIC every four years.
- It is organized with the objectives of enhancing international collaboration among the Member States and relevant stakeholders in Geospatial information management and capacities.
- UN-GGIM aims to address global challenges regarding the use of geospatial information, including in the development agendas, and to serve as a body for global policymaking in the field of geospatial information management.
- The first UNWGIC was organized by China in October 2018.
- The convening of the UNWGIC arises out of the mandate from the United Nations ECOSOC to the Committee of Experts to convene global forums to promote comprehensive dialogue on global geospatial information management with all relevant governments, NGOs and the private sector.