In News: Union Minister for HRD Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launches India Report- Digital Education June 2020
Who Prepares a Report?
- The report, prepared by Digital Education Division of MHRD in collaboration with Education Departments of states and union territories.
- The report elaborates on the innovative methods adopted by the Ministry of HRD.
- Education Departments of States and Union Territories for ensuring accessible and inclusive education to children at home and reducing learning gaps.
- This report brings a better understanding of the various initiatives taken to facilitate remote learning and education for all by taking schools to the students.
- Enlisting the various initiatives taken by the HRD Ministry, DIKSHA platform, Swayam Prabha TV Channel, Online MOOC courses, On AIR – Shiksha Vani, DAISY by NIOS for differently-abled, e-PathShala, National Repository of Open Educational Resources (NROER) to develop e-content and energized books, telecast through TV channels, e-Learning portals, webinars, chat groups, distribution of books and other digital initiatives along with State/UT governments.
- The report stated some of the major digital initiatives taken by the state governments, which include SMILE (Social Media Interface for Learning Engagement) in Rajasthan, Project Home Classes in Jammu, Padhai Tunhar Duvaar (Education at your doorstep) in Chhattisgarh, Unnayan Initiatives in Bihar through portal and mobile application, Mission Buniyaad in NCT of Delhi, Kerala’s own educational TV channel (Hi-Tech school program), e-scholar portal as well as free online courses for teachers in Meghalaya, and online certificate programs for teachers on ‘Management of mental well-being during COVID’ in Telangana.
- Highlighted some innovative apps and portals launched by some of the states as a means to facilitate remote learning. They include Top Parent App and KHEL (Knowledge Hub for Electronic Learning) (Madhya Pradesh), Sampark Baithak App (Uttarakhand), Biswa Vidya Assam Mobile Application (Assam), Vidyavahini App, Mera Mobile Mera Vidyalaya and Unnayan Bihar Teacher App (Bihar), Phoenix Mobile application (Chandigarh), Learning Outcomes Smart Q Mobile App (Maharashtra), iScuela Learn Mobile Application (Punjab), Sikkim Edutech App (Sikkim), EmpowerU Shiksha Darpan (Tripura), Top Parent app (Uttar Pradesh) among others.
- The Ministry has initiated many projects to assist teachers, scholars and students in their pursuit of learning.
- State/ UT Governments have also managed the critical task of providing digital education at the doorstep of the students.
- Some of the major medium to connect were tools like WhatsApp Group for all the classes, Online classes through YouTube channel, Google meet, Skype etc
- E-learning portal, TV (Doordarshan & regional channels), Radio (AIR), use of Diksha was the most prominent choice of all the stakeholders.
State Wise Efforts
- Some of the major digital initiatives by State Governments are SMILE (Social Media Interface for Learning Engagement) in Rajasthan.
- Project Home Classes in Jammu.
- Padhai Tunhar duvaar (Education at your doorstep) in Chhattisgarh.
- Unnayan Initiatives in BIHAR through portal and mobile application.
- Mission Buniyaad in NCT of Delhi.
- Kerala’s own educational TV channel (Hi-Tech school programme).
- E-scholar portal as well as free online courses for teachers in Meghalaya.
- Telangana has online certificate programs for teachers on ‘Management of mental well-being during COVID’.
- Uttarakhand is making use of the Sampark Baithak App through which primary school students can access animated videos, audios, worksheet, puzzles, etc.
- Assam has launched the Biswa Vidya Assam Mobile Application for class 6 to 10.
- Bihar has launched Vidyavahini App with e-books for class 1 to 12.
- Chandigarh has launched a Phoenix Mobile application to assess the learning outcome for the students of class 1 to 8.
- Maharashtra has launched the Learning Outcomes Smart Q Mobile App to facilitate learning for students in the state.
- Punjab has launched iScuela Learn Mobile Application for class 1 to 10.
- Sikkim Edutech App connects all the schools of Sikkim under the State Education Department, Parents also have login access along with students, teachers and administrative units.
- Tripura has an application titled ‘EmpowerU Shiksha Darpan’ in order to facilitate student’s appraisal.
- Uttar Pradesh launches ‘Top Parent’ app targeting children from 3-8years age.
- Odisha Shiksha Sanjog – a Whatsapp based digital learning programme has been launched in Odisha .
- Education through Whatsapp is also being dispensed in Punjab, Puducherry.
- Mission Prerna ki e-Pathshala is a Teacher to student whatsapp group in Uttar Pradesh.
- In Arunachal Pradesh, primary class students are receiving interesting Radio talks in their mother tongue through All India Radio, Itanagar.
- The districts of Jharkhand have localized actual teachers addressing children through regional Doordarshan and available radio slots.
- Similar is Puducherry’s Initiative telecasting the classes through virtual control rooms on local TV channels.
- Manipur has started comic books for students of class 3-5 to help them learn concepts in a fun way.
- Ladakh is collaborating with NGOs like EMBIBE Bangalore and 17000 feet in providing online education to students even in low connectivity zones.
- Popular features like quiz competitions are held by the state of Haryana.
- Andhra Pradesh has started Toll Free Call Centre and Toll Free Video call centre for students for understanding critical topics and clearing their doubts.
- Chhattisgarh has started Motor iskool.
- The state has also started a toll free number as VFS (Virtual Field Support).
- Jharkhand has started the Roving teacher where many teachers keep moving to teach children.
- Gujarat started a Reading Campaign for Oral Reading Fluency- Vanchan Abhiyan .
- West Bengal has also started an exclusive and dedicated toll-free helpline number to enable students to call and clarify doubts.
- Lakshadweep has distributed tablets equipped with e-contents to students.
- Nagaland has distributed study material through DVD/Pen drive to students at nominal cost.
- Jammu & Kashmir has distributed free tabs to students, along with laptops & Braille tactile readers for visually impaired learners.
- Goa Has partnered with Embibe, an Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered online platform for learning, practicing, and testing, for students preparing for entrance exams in the State.
- Karnataka has launched Pariksha Vani, an exam preparation program through Doordarshan, and an SSLC Exam Readiness Program.
- Online Practice tests with detailed analysis are available for Government and Government Aided Students of Tamil Nadu preparing for NEET exam.
- Delhi for higher classes, amid lockdown mental well-being of children has also taken care of through happiness classes channelized through SMS/IVR for primary grade children.