In News: Recently, Niti Aayog launched India Energy Dashboards Version 2.0 focused on data.
About India Energy Dashboards (IED)
- India Energy Dashboards (IED) is an endeavour to provide single-window access to the energy data for the country.
- IED is an endeavour to establish a central energy database of the country.
- IED is an initial step towards building a comprehensive, open, and freely accessible energy data portal for India.
- The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insights to inspire those in a position to make a difference. We are moving slowly into an era where big data is the starting point, not the end. So, the IED will continue to evolve and be a pillar around which robust energy decisions are taken in India.
- Energy data published/provided by Central Electricity Authority, Coal Controller’s Organisation, and Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is compiled in the Dashboards.
- NITI Aayog launched the Version 1.0 in May 2017.
The key features of India Energy Dashboards Version 2.0, are
- The IED provides time series data from FY 2005-06 until FY 2019-20.
- Enhanced data download – It enables easy downloading of data into convenient spreadsheet formats in a cleaner, more intuitive way;
- IED provides data at sub-yearly frequencies as well.
- This includes monthly data and API linked data from some portals maintained by the government agencies.
- The monthly data is sourced from the monthly reports that are regularly published for the electricity, petroleum and natural gas sectors.
- API linked data from Saubhagya, UJALA, PRAAPTI, and Vidyut PRAVAH has been incorporated in the portal.
- A ‘Feedback and Suggestions’ forum for the engagement of the energy data user community has been incorporated.
- A semi-automated workflow/ issue-tracking system for managing periodic updates to the IED.
- Addition of technical and financial data of electricity utilities available from the regulatory documents in the state of Maharashtra.
- Regulatory data specifically for the area served by the state-owned distribution utility – MSEDCL has been added.
- The Dashboards will include other states data in future.