In news- The Union Government has finalized an India Digital Ecosystem of Agriculture (IDEA) framework recently.
About India Digital Ecosystem of Agriculture (IDEA) framework-
- IDEA was built by taking the publicly available data as existing in various schemes and linking them with the digitized land records.
- It provides information from running schemes like the PM Kisan, soil health cards, the national crop insurance scheme PM Fasal Bima Yojna, etc.
- It helps in laying down the architecture for the Agri-stack in the country and that would serve as a foundation to build innovative agri-focused solutions leveraging emerging technologies to contribute effectively in creating a better Ecosystem for Agriculture in India.
- This Ecosystem shall help the Government in effective planning towards increasing the income of farmers in particular and improving the efficiency of the Agriculture sector as a whole.
- As a first step in this direction, the Government has already initiated building federated farmers’ database that would serve as the core of the envisaged Agristack.
Objectives of IDEA-
The objectives of National Digital Agriculture Ecosystem are as follows:
- To enable the farmer to realize higher income and better profitability through access to right information at the right time, and from innovative services.
- To enable better planning and execution of policies, programs, and schemes of the Central and State governments, and, also of the private sector and Farmers Producer Organizations (FPOs).
- To enhance efficiencies in the usage of resources including land, water, seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, and farm mechanization by providing easier access to information.
- To provide location-specific and personalized extension services across agriculture lifecycle, with simultaneous protection of privacy of personal data.
- To build capacities across the gamut of digital agriculture and precision agriculture.
- To promote adoption of standards for interoperability and seamless exchange of information across ecosystems, while ensuring that the digital rights are properly managed.
- To give a fillip to R&D and Innovations in agriculture through access to high-quality data.
- To adopt the best principles of cooperative federalism while working with the states and union territories for the realization of the vision of IDEA.
- To formulate and leverage PPP frameworks for realizing the ‘power of the digital’.
- It is a digital ecosystem for end-to-end delivery of services to farmers.
- The digital transformation of Indian agriculture through the use of cutting edge technology is the watchword for the creation of Agristack and the IDEA blueprint that undergirds it.
- Agristack is described as a “digital ecosystem” for agriculture that is intended to lead to enhanced farm incomes through the use of technology, mainly by “removing the bottleneck of inconsistent information”.
- Agristack will create “a unified platform for farmers to provide them end-to-end services across the agriculture food value chain”.
Extra reading: https://journalsofindia.com/agristack/