More than eight hundred Central Acts updated and uploaded in India Code Information System (ICIS) for legal empowerment of all citizens
What is India Code Information System (ICIS)?
- It is a database of all Central enactments which are in force and their subordinate legislations made from time to time.
- With the help of this system, retrieving of any Central Act and its relevant subordinate legislations of one’s interest in an up-to-date form has been simplified and made extremely user-friendly and accessible at push of a few buttons.
- It is an important step in ensuring legal empowerment of all citizens as well as the object of ONE NATION – ONE PLATFORM.
- It also contains Legislations enacted by the States and Union Territory Administrations along with their relevant subordinate legislations.
Who developed it?
It was developed with the help of NIC under the guidance of Law and Justice (Legislative Department).
Need for ICIS?
- Each year a number of legislations (both principal Acts and Amending Acts) are passed by the legislature and it is difficult for judiciary, lawyers as well as citizens to refer relevant and up to date Acts when required.
- This can be solved by building up an exhaustive repository of all the Acts and Amendments in one place which is open to all.
- A need has been felt for the development of building up Central repository of all the Acts and their subordinate legislations (made from time to time) at one place which are easily accessible to all stakeholders with a view to make such laws available in up-to-date form when required by public, lawyers, judges, etc.,
- A need has been also felt to avoid private publishers from exploiting the general public with enormous prices by claiming published updated laws as their copyrighted work.
- In fact, this is the most vital reason why should make India Code available over Internet.
- Keeping all these aspects in view, India Code Information System (ICIS), a one stop digital repository of all the Central and State Legislation including their respective subordinate legislations has been developed with the help of NIC under the guidance of Law and Justice (Legislative Department).
Objective of India Code Information System (ICIS)
The main object of this system is to provide a one stop repository of all the Acts and Legislations in India in the latest and updated format as and when required by the general public, lawyers, judges and all other interested parties.
What is the current status?
Till date, Central Acts from the years 1838 to 2020 total 857 Central Acts have been updated and uploaded in ICIS for general public.