About Ind-CEPI Mission
The Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India is supporting the implementation of the Ind-CEPI Mission, “Epidemic preparedness through rapid vaccine development: Support of Indian vaccine development aligned with the global initiative of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI)”, through a dedicated Program Management Unit at Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC).
It is aligned with the Global Initiative of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI)
The Ind-CEPI Mission was approved on 27th March 2019 with a total cost INR312.92 crore.
Aim and Objectives
Ind-CEPI Mission aims to strengthen the development of vaccines for the diseases of epidemic potential in India as well as build coordinated preparedness in the Indian public health system and vaccine industry to address existing and emergent infectious threats in India.
One of the key focus areas of the mission is to support capacity building and regional networking with LMICs(Lowand Middle Income Countries).
The objectives of the mission include:
- Supporting the development of at least 2-3 new vaccines for potential outbreak threats up to phase 2 testing in five years.
- Strengthening of infrastructure to support the needs of the vaccine development through an academia-industry interface.
- Supporting capacity building and skill development.
- Strengthening internal inter-ministerial co-ordination for rapid vaccine development and testing to address known and unknown infectious disease threats.
- Strengthening of development frameworks, surveillance and logistics for use of new vaccines, where appropriate.
Role of CEPI
- CEPI has already conducted a prioritization exercise in the past based on which it issued RFPs for Lassa, Nipah, MERS, RFV and Chikungunya vaccine candidates
- Guidance for call timelines and evaluation parameters while developing the RFPs will be sought from CEPI. In addition, strategic collaborations with CEPI on future RFPs of CEPI on priority pathogens/assays/strengthening of surveillance sites etc. will also be explored.
- Nomination of Experts from/by CEPI for the review and evaluation of proposals including SAG.
- The Ind-CEPI Mission will facilitate the studies through the provision of clearly defined criteria and pathways for vaccine assessment, which will be developed in consultation with CEPI.
- Also, participation of Experts from CEPI will be solicited in oversight or mentoring activities for accelerated development of vaccines and platform technologies.
Role of BIRAC in CEPI:
The progress against the grants administered will be coordinated on a regular basis by the PMU at BIRAC (IndCEPI) and the results shared with the SAG and Steering Committee annually. Individualized, hands-on technical, managerial and regulatory assistance will be provided by the PMU to the grantees through the duration of the projects.