The scheme aims to encourage social science research in policy relevant areas so as to provide vital inputs in policy-formulation, implementation and evaluation.
It is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development and is being implemented by the Indian Council of Social Science Research.
The broad objectives of the scheme are:
- To identify and fund research proposals in social sciences with maximum impact on the governance and society.
- To focus research on 11 broad thematic areas. The sub- theme areas will be decided on the basis of Expert Groups’ advice before notifying the scheme and calling for applications.
- To ensure selection of projects through a transparent, competitive process on online mode.
- To provide opportunity for social science researchers in any institution in the country, including all Universities (Central and State), private institutions with 12(B) status conferred by UGC.
- ICSSR funded/ recognized research institutes will also be eligible to submit research proposals on the given themes and sub-themes.