In News: According to the latest edition (11th) of the QS World University Rankings by Subject, 25 programmes offered by Indian higher education institutions were ranked among the top 100 in the world in their respective subject categories.
About Impact Rankings 2021
- The Times Higher Education Impact Rankings are the only global performance tables that assess universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Calibrated indicators to provide comprehensive and balanced comparison across four broad areas: research, stewardship, outreach and teaching.
- The 2021 Impact Rankings is the third edition and the overall ranking includes 1,115 universities from 94 countries/regions.
View the Impact Rankings 2021 methodology
- Globally Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT -USA) and Harvard (USA) are among top performers, Russia and China record best-ever performances.
- The overall ranking is led by a UK university for the first time: the University of Manchester.
- Three Australian institutions complete the top four: the University of Sydney, RMIT University and La Trobe University.
- The top institution from an emerging economy is Thailand’s Chulalongkorn University at joint 23rd place.
- Russia is the most-represented nation in the table with 75 institutions, followed by Japan with 73.
- The 2021 QS global university performance comparison provided independent data on the performance of 253 programmes across 51 academic disciplines at 52 Indian higher education institutions.
- This year, there are 12 Indian universities/institutions in the top 100 subject rankings, up from 8 last year.
- IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, IISC Bangalore, IIT Guwahati, IIM Bangalore, IIM Ahmedabad, JNU, Anna University, University of Delhi, and OP Jindal University are among the top 100 universities in the country.
- IIT-Bombay has more top 100 rankings than any other Indian university.
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) is a global career and education network for ambitious individuals seeking to advance their personal and professional goals.
- QS creates and effectively applies comparative data collection and research approaches to demonstrate the strengths of organisations.
QS World University Rankings
- The QS World University Rankings is an annual publication of university rankings that includes global overall and topic rankings.
- For the evaluation, there are six criteria and their weightings
- Academic Reputation (40%)
- Employer Reputation (10%)
- Faculty/Student Ratio (20%)
- Citations per faculty (20%)
- International Faculty Ratio (5%)
- International Student Ratio (5%)