In news- During the Doctors` Day event it was highlighted that the ‘IDIOT’ syndrome among people is becoming a challenge to treat educated patients nowadays.
What is ‘IDIOT’ syndrome?
- The Internet Derived Information Obstructing Treatment (IDIOT) syndrome is when people blindly trust medical information available online and stop their treatment abruptly without consulting their doctor.
- Patients access key information about their ailments online and expect added help.
- This syndrome is medically called cyberchondria.
- IDIOT syndrome is making treatment of people, especially educated ones difficult.
National Doctors` Day-
- It is observed on July 1 in the memory of Dr Bidhan Roy, the former Chief Minister of Bengal, who was known for his selfless service to humanity.
- The day, commemorated by Indian Medical Association (IMA), celebrates all doctors and healthcare workers who have been tirelessly serving people by risking their own lives.
- Dr Roy was born on July 1, 1882, and passed away on the same day in 1962.
- It has been celebrated across the nation every year since 1991.
- The for the year 2022 is ‘Family doctors on the front line.’
Further reading: https://journalsofindia.com/national-doctors-day-2021/