In news- Political row escalated after the rejection of the Republic day parade tableau of Kerala and West Bengal without giving any reasons.
More about Republic day tableaux-
- The Defence Ministry is responsible for the parade and is the coordinating body for the tableaux.
- Around September every year the Defence Ministry invites all the states, the UTs, Central Government departments, and a few constitutional authorities to participate in the parade through tableaux.
- The participants have to showcase elements relevant to their state/ UT/ department, within the overarching theme.
- The theme given to participants this year was around 75 years of India’s Independence which includes India@75 – Freedom struggle, Ideas @ 75, Achievements @ 75, Actions @ 75 and Resolve @ 75.
- The Defence Ministry also shares the basic guidelines about what all the tableaux can or should include.
How are the tableaux selected?
- The Defence Ministry constitutes an expert committee of distinguished persons from fields like art, culture, painting, sculpture, music, architecture, choreography, etc, who help in shortlisting the tableaux from the proposals.
- First, the submitted sketches or designs of the proposals are scrutinized by this committee, which can make suggestions for any modifications in the sketch or design.
- The sketch should be simple, colorful, easy to comprehend and should avoid unnecessary detail.
- It should be self-explanatory, and should not need any written elaboration.
- If there is a traditional dance involved with the tableau, it should be a folk dance, and the costumes and musical instruments should be traditional and authentic and the proposal should include a video clipping of the dance.
- Once approved, the next stage is for the participants to come up with three dimensional models for their proposals, which are again examined by the expert committee for final selection, taking in view several criteria.
- In making the final selection the committee looks at a combination of factors, looking at the visual appeal, impact on the masses, idea/ theme of the tableaux, degree of detail involved, accompanying music, among other factors.
- Only those who are shortlisted, are informed about the next round.
- The Defence Ministry recommends the participants to try and not engage any firm or fabricator that are involved in creation of two tableaux, including their own.
- The Defence Ministry provides each participant with one tractor and one trailer, and the tableau should fit on that.
- However, the participant can replace their ministry-provided tractor or trailer with other vehicles, but the total number should not be more than two vehicles.
- The tableaux of two different states/ UTs cannot be too similar.
- The tableaux cannot have any writing or use of logos, except for the name of the state/ UT/ department, which should be written in Hindi on the front, English on the back, and a regional language on the sides.