KVIC’s Honey Mission Earns First Income for Migrant Workers
About Honey mission
Honey Mission was launched by the Prime Minister of India to create employment in Tribal regions and Left Wing Affected areas, Backward Districts of the country and make the youth take up mass honey production as Sweet Kranti (Sweet Revolution).
Objectives of the Mission
- Create an end-to-end implementation framework for beekeeping skill development, which provides employment opportunities and income generation to agriculturists, beekeepers, rural & urban unemployed youth.
- Enforce nationally acceptable standards of Good Beekeeping Practices (GPB) in the country.
- Develop a network of quality master trainers in the field of beekeeping for imparting Good Beekeeping / Apicultural Practices.
- Offer a passage for the overseas market for hive products.
- Enable pathways from novice beekeepers to viable commercial beekeeping by handholding to credit linkages.
- Promote convergence and co-ordination between all the stakeholders of beekeeping in India
- Maintain a national database, which will act as a portal for matching the demand and supply in the country.
- On the other hand, it will also serve as a platform for monitoring the performance of existing beekeepers and their skills, available bee colonies and their production in each state.
- To tap the local & rural natural resources for generation of income and employment to rural & tribal people in selected pockets.
- To bring qualitative & quantitative enhancement in honey & hive products for export and domestic market.
- To promote beekeeping for increasing the crop productivity and pollination services avenue for beekeepers and farmers