In news- India has officially joined the High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People.
About High Ambition Coalition for Nature & People-
- It is a group of 70 countries co-chaired by Costa Rica, France and the United Kingdom, championing a global deal for nature and people with the central goal of protecting at least 30 percent of the world’s land and ocean by 2030.
- The 30×30 target is a global target which aims to halt the accelerating loss of species, and protect vital ecosystems that are the source of our economic security.
- HAC members currently include a mix of countries in the global north and south; European, Latin American, Africa and Asia countries are among the members.
- India is the first of the BRICS bloc of major emerging economies (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) to join the HAC.
- India’s announcement comes in the lead up to a high-level biodiversity meeting, hosted by China.