In news–On the occasion of Hanuman Jayanti (April 16), Prime Minister Narendra Modi has unveiled a 108 feet statue of Lord Hanuman in Gujarat’s Morbi via video conferencing.
- The statue is the second of the four statues being built in the four directions across the country, as part of the ‘Hanumanji Char Dham’ project.
- The statue has been set up in the west, at the Ashram of Bapu Keshvanand ji in Morbi.
- The first statue of the series was set up at the Jakhu hill in the north in Shimla in 2010.
- Work on the statue in the south at Rameswaram has been started.
- Hanuman Jayanti is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Lord Hanuman, the ardent devotee of Lord Rama.
- The festival is celebrated on full moon day during the month of Chaitra.
- His other names are Sankatmochan and Dukhbhanjan as he is believed to help people get rid of their problems and sorrows.
- Hanuman was born to Anjana who was a cursed apsara. She was redeemed from the curse after giving birth to Hanuman.
- According to legend, Anjana and her husband Kesari prayed to Rudra for a child and by his direction, Vayu transferred his male energy to Anjana’s womb and this is the reason Hanuman is known as the son of Vayu (Pavanputra).