H10N3 bird flu
In news– Recently, China reported the first human case of H10N3 bird flu.
About H10N3 bird flu-
- It is a low pathogenic, or relatively less severe, strain of the virus in poultry and the risk of it spreading on a large scale was very low.
- Only around 160 isolates of the virus were reported in the 40 years to 2018, mostly in wild birds or waterfowl in Asia and some limited parts of North America, and none had been detected in chickens so far.
What is Bird flu?
- Bird flu, also called avian influenza, is a viral infection that can infect not only birds, but also humans and other animals.
- Most forms of the virus are restricted to birds.
- H5N1 is the most common form of bird flu.
- It’s deadly to birds and can easily affect humans and other animals that come in contact with a carrier.