Why in news?
The researchers have sighted nests of the grizzled giant squirrel, at Pakkamalai Reserve Forests near Gingee in the Eastern Ghats, for the first time.
- The species is usually known to nest only in the Western Ghats in South India.
- Found in the highlands of the Central and Uva provinces of Sri Lanka, along the Kaveri River and in the hill forests of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- It has got its common name from the white flecks of hair over its greyish body.
- IUCN status – Near threatened
- Pakkamalai Reserve Forest in Villupuram district, Tamil Nadu has several diverse and endangered species including the Golden Gecko, Bamboo Pit Viper and Mouse Deer.