Recently, NTPC anchored a two days BRICS Green Hydrogen Summit.
Key highlights of the Green Hydrogen Summit
- NTPC Ltd, India’s largest energy integrated company under the Ministry of Power, anchored a two day workshop on Green Hydrogen.
- Green Hydrogen is one of the most popular and demanding fields in the current times and considered to be the next carrier of energy.
- The online event saw leading experts from the Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa (BRICS) countries.
What is Green Hydrogen?
Hydrogen when produced by electrolysis using renewable energy is known as Green Hydrogen which has no carbon footprint. This gives Hydrogen the edge over other fuels to unlock various avenues of green usage
More about Green Hydrogen
- It is hydrogen fuel that is created using renewable energy instead of fossil fuels.
- It has the potential to provide clean power for manufacturing, transportation, and more and it’s only byproduct is water.
- As the world rapidly moves to decarbonise the entire energy system, hydrogen is poised to play a vital role and build on the rapid scale-up of renewable resources across the world..
- Green hydrogen is of great topical interest to all the countries including BRICS as it has a great amount of potential to ensure sustainable energy supply, increase the level of energy availability and minimize the negative impact on the environment.
Applications of Green Hydrogen
- Green Chemicals like ammonia and methanol can directly be utilized in existing applications like fertilizers, mobility, power, chemicals, shipping etc.
- Green Hydrogen blending up to 10% may be adopted in CGD(city gas distribution) networks to gain widespread acceptance.
- Further scaling up with greening of hard to abate sectors (like steel and cement) through hydrogen is to be explored
Role of NTPC
NTPC is pioneering Green Hydrogen Initiatives in India. NTPC which is undertaking extensive study, experimentations in the areas of Carbon Capture & Hydrogen has also announced a few pilot projects on Green Hydrogen to this.
National Hydrogen Mission
India has launched an ambitious National Hydrogen Mission to introduce hydrogen purchase obligations for fertilizers, refineries involving the private sector in a transparent and competitive manner to produce green hydrogen.
Extra reading: https://journalsofindia.com/national-hydrogen-energy-mission/