Why in news?
Government approves Rs 7,660 crore green highway projects in four states – Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh.
Features of the policy:
- The aim of the policy is to promote greening of Highway corridors with participation of the community, farmers, private sector, NGOs, and government institutions.
- 1% of the total project cost of all highways projects will be kept aside for the highway plantation and its maintenance.
- It will generate employment opportunities for about five lakh people from rural areas.
- A strong monitoring mechanism will be in place by using ISRO’s Bhuvan and GAGAN satellite systems.
- Every planted tree will be counted and auditing will be done.
- 1200 roadside amenities will also be established.
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) will act as a fund manager for maintaining a green fund and releasing payments based on recommendation of concerned officials and agencies.