Source: PIB, Economic Times and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
For evacuation of large scale renewable energy, Intra State Transmission System (InSTS) project was sanctioned by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
About the project
- The project is being implemented by eight renewable rich States of Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, and Madhya Pradesh.
- The project is being implemented in these States by the respective State Transmission Utilities (STUs).
- The project includes about approx. 9400 km transmission lines and Substations of total capacity of approx. 19000 MVA to be completed by March 2020.
- The purpose is to evacuate approx. 20,000 MW of large scale renewable power and improvement of the grid in the implementing States.
- The funding mechanism consists of 40% from the Government of India Grant (total Rs. 4056.67 crores), 20% from State Equity and 40% from the loan from KfW, Germany (500 million EUR).
- The Central grant is disbursed in two installments to the STUs:
- 70% Advance on the award of contract, and
- Balance 30% after successful commissioning and three months of performance testing.