In news : Recently, the APEDA upgraded the GrapeNet to ensure secured, scalable and cost effective interface in the exports value chain
What is GrapeNet?
The GrapeNet is a web based certification and traceability software system for monitoring fresh grapes exported from India to the European Union.
GrapeNet is a first of its kind initiative in India that has put in place an end-to-end system for monitoring pesticide residue, achieve product standardization and facilitate tracing back from retail shelves to the farm of the Indian grower, through the various stages of sampling, testing, certification and packing
More about GrapeNet
- In a bid to ensure cyber security protection for its traceability initiative, APEDA has adopted next generation Blockchain and Cloud migration enabled GrapeNet System which would ensure a secured, scalable and cost effective interface for all the stakeholders in the exports value chain.
- GrapeNet integrates all stakeholders in the supply chain of grapes export, namely The Farmers, State Government Horticulture Departments, The testing laboratories, Agmark Certification Department, The Phyto-sanitary department, Pack houses, Exporters, and APEDA.
- The software can be easily used – anywhere, anytime, 24 by 7, by all authorized stakeholders
- It has virtually reduced duplication in data capture and enables instant reference of previous steps in the supply chain.
- APEDA can trace details of the consignment right upto the farm plot level. After integrating Blockchain, GrapeNet will be more secure.
How does it work?
- The Blockchain will help track all the activities and steps involved in the grapes lifecycle process, right from the allocation of the farms for production of the grapes to the point of grapes being delivered to the customers.
- It will keep a record of all the processes involved which can be traced by the customers at the end of the chain to validate the authenticity of the grapes being provided to them.
- The traceability of the grapes can be done from any level.
- The chain of the process flow will be able to be retrieved to determine also if all the processes have been followed.
Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)
APEDA was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act passed by the Parliament in December 1985
APEDA is an Apex-Export Trade Promotion Active government body set up by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry
About Blockchain technology
- Blockchain is a shared, immutable ledger that facilitates the process of recording transactions and tracking assets in a business network.
- The technology is ideal for delivering that information because it provides immediate, shared, and completely transparent information stored on an immutable ledger that can be accessed only by network members.
- A Blockchain network can track test reports, consignments, production, and much more.
- And because members share a single view of the truth, they can see all details of a transaction end-to-end, giving them greater confidence, as well as new efficiencies and opportunities.