In news : India Meteorological Department (IMD) has undertaken installation of Agro-AWS at District Agromet Units (DAMUs) located in the KVKs under ICAR network. Agro-AWS is being installed at 200 DAMUs to augment block level Agromet Advisory Services (AAS) under the GKMS scheme.
About the Gramin Krishi Mausam Sewa (GKMS)
- Ministry: Ministry of Earth Science
- Collaboration: Under GKMS project, India Meteorological Department, Ministry of Earth Science in collaboration with State Agricultural Universities /Indian Council of Agricultural Research etc. is issuing crop and location specific weather based agro advisories for the benefit of farming community on every Tuesday and Friday and occurrence of extreme weather
- Weather forecast : Under this district level weather forecast for next 5-days in respect of Rainfall, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, wind speed, wind direction, relative humidity and clouds, weekly cumulative rainfall forecast and Crop specific advisories are provided to farmers.
- Means of advisories to farmers: GKMS of IMD has been successful in providing crop specific advisories to farmers through different print/visual/Radio/ IT based media including short message service (SMS) and Interactive Voice Response Service (IVRS) facilitating appropriate field level actions.
- Under the GKMS scheme, district level weather forecast including rainfall for the next five days for all the districts is generated.
- Agromet Advisories: Based on the weather forecast, Agromet Advisories are prepared in collaboration with 130 Agromet Field Units (AMFUs) and communicated to the farming community.
- AAS rendered by IMD is a step to weather-based crop and livestock management strategies and operations dedicated to enhancing crop production besides reducing crop damage and loss due to extreme weather events.
- The GKMS of IMD has been successful in providing the crop specific agro meteorological advisories in vernacular languages to about 22 million farmers in the country.