The draft Detailed Project Report (DPR) of Godavari – Cauvery link project has been completed by National Water Development Agency (NWDA) and sent to party States for their views
About the project
- Godavari(Inchampalli / Janampet) – Cauvery (Grand Anicut) link project consists of 3 links viz.,
- Godavari (Inchampalli/Janampet) – Krishna (Nagarjunasagar)
- Krishna (Nagarjunasagar) – Pennar (Somasila) and
- Pennar (Somasila) – Cauvery (Grand Anicut)
- As per the draft DPR, about 247 TMC can be diverted from Godavari river to Nagarjuna Sagar dam(through lifting) and further south for meeting the demands of Krishna, Pennar and Cauvery basins.
- As per the draft DPR, the cost of the project has been estimated as Rs.60361 Crore at 2018-19 price level by NWDA.
- According to the draft DPR, this link project will benefit about 9.38 lakh ha of area, out of which 1.84 lakh ha lies in Telangana.
About NWDA and its function
- NWDA was set up in July 1982 as Autonomous Society under the societies registration act 1860, to carry out the water balance and other studies on a scientific and realistic basis for optimum utilization of water resources of the Peninsular river system for preparation of feasibility reports and thus to give concrete shape to Peninsular river development component of National perspective plan prepared by Central Water Commission and the then Ministry of Irrigation (now Ministry of Jal Shakti, DoWR, RD & GR).
- In the year 1990, NWDA was also entrusted with the task of the Himalayan Component of National Perspective Plan.
- Recently in October 2016, the functions of NWDA were further modified to undertake the implementation of ILR projects and completion of water resources projects under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY) and to act as a repository of borrowed fund or loan from Banks / other institutions for the execution of projects.