In News: The Ministry of Power, Government of India, launched the “Go Electric” Campaign on 19 February, 2021 ..
About “Go Electric” Campaign
- Objective: Creating awareness among masses on the benefits of adopting Electric Vehicles and Electric Cooking appliances such as Induction cook hobs, Electric pressure cooker etc.
- Aimed: Creating awareness at PAN-India level and is expected to boost the confidence of Electric Vehicle manufacturers.
- Implementing Agency: Bureau of Energy Efficiency will provide technical support to the State Designated Agencies(SDAs) for its implementation on a state and national level.
- This initiative is intended to encourage consumers to switch over to Electric Vehicles and Electric Cooking in place of currently used conventional modes and appliances, thereby, reducing dependency of the country on imported fuel.
- The “Go Electric” Campaign promotes adoption of Energy Efficient Electric Vehicles and Electric Cooking appliances and is expected to help the country to achieve energy transition as well as low carbon economic growth in the future.
- These technologies being energy efficient, are expected to scale down mobility and cooking related emissions, securing cleaner and greener future.
- The share of renewables in the energy mix is expected to increase due to integration of more renewable based power generation.
- Benefits of adopting these electricity based technologies shall be completely realized by enhancing share of renewables in the Grid.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE):
- It was established in 2002 under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- It is a statutory body.
- Ministry: Ministry of Power
- Objective: It assists in developing policies and strategies for reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
Major Programmes: State Energy Efficiency Index, Perform Achieve and Trade (PAT) scheme, The Standards & Labeling Programme, Energy Conservation Building Code.