In news- The We Protect Global Alliance has launched the Global Threat Assessment Report 2021 recently.
Key findings of the report-
- As part of the report, a global study of childhood experiences of more than 5,000 young adults in the age group of 18-20 across 54 countries was completed by Economist Impact.
- The findings show that in the past two years, the reporting of child sexual exploitation and online abuse has reached its highest level.
- COVID-19 created a ‘perfect storm’ of conditions that fuelled a rise in child sexual exploitation and abuse (online) across the globe’.
- The rise in child ‘self-generated’ sexual material is another trend that challenges the existing response, with the Internet Watch Foundation observing a 77% increase in child ‘self-generated’ sexual material from 2019 to 2020.
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) reported that during the COVID-19 lockdown in India, there was a 95% rise in searches for child sexual abuse material.
We Protect Global Alliance-
- It is a global movement of more than 200 governments, private sector companies and civil society organisations working together to transform the global response to child sexual exploitation and abuse online.
- The Alliance relaunched in 2020 as an independent organisation and is the combination of two initiatives:
- The European Commission and US Department of Justice’s Global Alliance Against Child Sexual Abuse Online; and
- WePROTECT, established by the UK Government as a global multi-stakeholder response to combating online child sexual abuse.